Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Homemade Deodorant

I have been trying a variety of natural alternatives to my most commonly used beauty/cleansing items.  Some have been great - the oil face wash I have been using has been an unqualified success.  Others less so (my baking soda/ apple cider vinegar hair care routine is still questionable).   These are both unquestionably steps in the right direction.  However, probably the number one most harmful product I use every day is my deodorant.  Some of the chemicals in most commercially available deodorants (starting with but not limited to aluminim) have been linked to breast cancer, Alzheimer's, and other serious medical complications.

So I thought I would shop around for a healthier alternative.  First thing you should know about me and deodorant is that lots of deodorant/ antiperspirants don't work for me.  I am a heavy sweater, and I have only found a few specific deodorants that actually work all day long.  They usually have words like "Clinical" or "Extra Strength" in the name (which I can only assume is code for extra quick breast cancer development). I have never, ever tried an all natural deodorant which worked what so ever.  However, I was assured that there were some simple home remedies that would out perform even my fancy, extra clinical strength store bought deodorants.

So I dove in.  First I mixed up a dry mixture of 1 part baking soda to 3 parts corn starch to see if the basic principle would work for me.  I just put it in a sandwich baggy and have been using a cotton ball for an applicator.  Fancier containers will come later (if I decide to keep at it).  

Day 1:
Right after I finished drying off from my shower I dusted on the BS/CS mixture. I sniffed my armpits pretty compulsively throughout the day (luckily I was at home) and no smell.  Very little mostiure as well.

Day 2:
I re-dusted this morning.  Everything seems to be working like you would want your deodorant to work.  So far I am a fan.  I am trying to get a hold of some coconut oil so I can try making a cream deodorant.

Day 3: 
Still going strong.  This deodorant substitute works pretty well.  I notice less sweat, too. However, I want to add a scent and some moisturizing component, so I am definitely going to move to a fancier recipe.  


As I mentioned in my day 2 entry, there are fancier versions of this homemade deodorant.  Here are three that I found from other bloggers online: Angry Chicken, Little House in the Suburbs, Passionate Homemaking, and Common Sense Homesteading.  I plan to try one soon.  

Click here to see more of my eco-friendly alternatives.

Keywords: deodorant, all natural alternatives, Eco-friendly beauty products, baking soda, coconut oil, environmentally conscious health products

No comments:

Post a Comment